Are you looking to work for a company that has values in the right place and that helps
build more sustainable cities and communities?
MicroHabitat is looking for someone to fill the position of Urban Farmer with ambition,
leadership and a passion for agriculture.
At MicroHabitat, we are implementing urban farming to improve the urban environment,
the lifestyles of city dwellers and encourage a better understanding of environmental
issues. We install edible gardens on the roofs and ground spaces of companies,
institutions and schools in order to reconnect people to nature and their food.
What’s in it for you?
A rewarding job where you can cultivate in unique places and enjoy summer.
A competitive salary and paid vacation per year upon hiring
Free coffee and tea and a work environment focused on people’s wellbeing
A team-oriented work environment that encourages initiative and leadership
Happy hour, BBQ, morning bagels and coffee and various social events throughout the
Fun team activities with your colleagues – because MicroHabitat is first and foremost a
Work and meet colleagues as passionate as you
Job Description :
The role of this person is to set up urban farming projects with a multicultural clientele
within their work and living environment located in different boroughs of its region.
Under the supervision of the Director of Operations, this person will also be responsible
for planning, installing, supervising and managing food production zones. The chief
urban farmer is also responsible to manage communication and clients account and
work in collaboration with the sales and marketing team. The goal of this position is
overviewing all urban farming operations in its region, raising awareness and
transferring knowledge in urban farming to this varied clientele.
Tasks and main responsibilities:
The person holding this position will be responsible for setting up urban farming
projects, managing clients’ accounts, supervising and monitoring each production area,
supporting and evaluating the urban farming activities of each urban farmer in their
This position requires to work in concert with members of the MicroHabitat team in order
to contribute to the company’s expansion around the world and the deployment of urban
farming in each of our cities. The person will also be responsible for leading educational
workshops in French and English for clients of all ages.
· Coordinate and prepare materials for installations.
· Carry out the installations and supervise the installation team during the installation
· Ensure and supervise the full maintenance of MicroHabitat urban farms and mobilize
members of these organizations by offering project information and horticultural advice.
· Perform quality insurance horticulture maintenance of urban farms.
· Perform all other related tasks (harvesting, cuttings, watering, tying up tomato plants,
controlling pests and weeds, cleaning crops, delivering crops).
· Carry out educational activities with MicroHabitat clients.
Representation and administration:
· Host information kiosks and workshops in French and English on urban farming for
clients of all ages.
· Attend team, partners and client meetings.
· Write reports and document the activities of each of the production sites.
· Perform all other related tasks related to purchasing and maintaining MicroHabitat
tools and infrastructure.
· Follow companies safety and COVID measures and procedures.
· Perform quality assurance infrastructure visits of rooftops and ground farms.
· Participate in the creation of standardization documents and training guides for the
·Work directly with the different branches of the company (sales and marketing) as well
as the other cities where MicroHabitat operate.
· Participate in grant research and filling.
· Participate and manage all the different steps in the implementation of our food
· Facilitate and participate in the implementation of urban farming projects in its region.
· Coordinate and prepare for installations, weekly maintenance visits and closing
events of the food production spaces.
· Carry out horticultural activities with clients.
· Ensure the maintenance of all MicroHabitat food production spaces.
· Perform all other related tasks (harvesting, cutting, fertilizing, watering, tying up
tomato plants, pest and weed control, crop cleaning, crop delivery).
· Ensure that safety guidelines are respected in every area that touches the
· Ensure that cleanliness is maintained at all times, in all food production areas, as well
as in every one of MicroHabitats clients spaces and its own.
· Ensure that all operation reports are filed.
· Participate in operational process improvement.
· Schedule and coordinate food production site visits.
· Make sure that the operations are maintaining cleanliness at all times, in all food
production areas, as well as in every one of MicroHabitats’ clients spaces and its own.
Operational logistical management
· Purchasing and procurement, inventory tracking, inventory tracking optimization.
· Company needs assessing
· Scout, acquire, maintain, assess and track all the necessary infrastructure needed for
the MicroHabitat operations.
· Plan for MicroHabitat’s physical expansion to support our growing market and pool of
Client experience and marketing
· Ensure the project coordination and client management of all accounts in its region.
· Send out communications, marketing materials and content to clients.
· Ensure the satisfaction and retention of every client and potential client.
· Ensure that all operation reports are filed and shared with partners as well as clients.
· Participate in client satisfaction process improvement.
· Participate in marketing content gathering for the marketing and sales team.
· Make sure the MicroHabitat brand shines on every aspect of the business throughout
· Collaborate with other chief farmers and sales team to ensure client satisfaction and
growth of clients’ accounts and MicroHabitat.
Human resource management:
· Support the MicroHabitat team in the hiring process of the installation and urban farming team.
· Supervise the MicroHabitat team to carry out the installations during the installation period.
· Track, evaluate and assess employees’ needs and performance.
· Follow-up on employee reports with director of operation and other concerned members of the team.
• Prepare the MicroHabitat infrastructure, vehicles and inventory storage for winter.
· Handle other miscellaneous duties and responsibilities as defined by the team during the offseason.
· Ensure the satisfaction of every client and potential client.
· Ensure that all operation reports are filed
· Participate in operational process improvement
· Undergo a Linkedin transformation, in order to represent the company in a matter that will standardize your image with the rest of the team and maximize your potential growth within the company.
· Lead generation work in support to the sales team.
Application period: 25th January 2022 – 18th February 2022
Interview period: 21st February 2022 – 25th February 2022
First day at work: 1st March 2022
Exigences / Requirements
· Hold a College or university degree in agriculture and/or urban agriculture and/or horticulture and/or environmental science and/or sustainable development.
· Must have worked or studied in the field of agriculture, horticulture, urban agriculture or sustainable development.
· Have theoretical and practical knowledge in agriculture, urban agriculture or horticulture.
· Have experience in mobilization and workshop facilitation.
· Must have experience and be comfortable frequently using technological tools such as a smartphone, the Microsoft Office suite, the Google suite and video conferencing platforms (ex: Zoom, Google Meet, etc. ).
· Have good writing and speaking skills.
· Possess a valid driving license.
· Have two years of driving experience.
· Own a functional smartphone.
· Have a vaccine passport
Compétences recherchées / Skills sought
· Good mobilization capacity.
· Participatory leadership.
· Have a vision and passion for urban agriculture and sustainable development.
· Interpersonal skills, interpersonal and communication skills.
· Autonomy, versatility and resourcefulness.
· Sense of initiative, organization and priority management.
· Good capacity for popularization and transmission of knowledge.
· Patience, empathy and generosity.
· Good physical condition.
· Ability in group animation and management.
Salaire et Avantages / Salary and Benefits
Salary and Benefits
· Starting date: March 1st 2022
· Duration: Full-time position
· Salary: 43 750$ per year
· Yearly salary includes 20 days of paid vacation per year (1 month per year)
· Bonus of 1000$ for the retention of 90% of our customers in your area from one season to another
·Vacation period to be discussed with the management team.
December 31st 2022
+ Paid company phone
+ MicroHabitat health insurance plan.
Normal work schedule high season : Monday-Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. with a 30-minute lunch break.
Normal work schedule low season: Monday-Friday 9 a.m – 5 p.m with a 30-minute lunch break.
Possibility overtime during the high season.
No paid overtime.
For any questions related to the position, do not hesitate to contact
Alexandre Ferrari-Roy at (438) 476-5273 extension 3
MicroHabitat – Vancouver
1801 Powell Stnull, Vancouver, BC V5L 1H8