Residential Teaching Assistant, Claremont Nature Centre
Claremont, 4290 Westney Road North, Goodwood, Ontario, Canada Req #113
With more than 60 years of experience, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) is one of 36 Conservation Authorities in Ontario, created to safeguard and enhance the health and well-being of watershed communities through the protection and restoration of the natural environment and the ecological services the environment provides.
TRCA works to protect the integrity and health of the rivers and creeks in the jurisdiction, develop a system of green and natural spaces that sustains local ecosystems, and advance sustainable practices that improve people’s lives within our growing region.
How you will contribute as part of the TRCA team:
Under the guidance of the Field Center Supervisor, the Residential Teaching Assistant supports immersive, curriculum connected overnight and day school visits at Claremont Nature Centre.
Building The Living City Strategic Plan (2013) identified education and community engagement as key objectives and mechanisms through which to achieve our strategic goals. Section 5: Foster sustainable citizenship, focuses on improving the awareness of and commitment to sustainability by the region’s residents.
This position involves teaching curriculum-linked lessons to visiting school groups, supporting meal time delivery and completing administrative duties. This is the on-site live-in staff person that ensures the overnight safety of the visiting group. The Residential Assistant works closely with Education Assistants and Teachers and reports directly to the Field Centre Supervisor.
– Lead or co-lead immersive, hands-on education programs and lessons as part of an overnight school visit.
– Lead recreational evening programs.
– Deliver or co-deliver specialized lessons including SHSM.
– Facilitate day programs and summer camps.
Facilitating Meal Service
– Work with kitchen services to ensure visitor dietary restrictions are met.
– Manage mealtimes to ensure they run smoothly and on time.
– Help with serving food to visiting guests.
– Educate students around relevant conservation efforts such as food waste during the meal.
– Modify existing lessons to adapt for special needs within a school group as needed.
– As time permits, develop new individual games and activities that update existing lessons.
– Manage and monitor confidential information (students and teacher forms) including dietary restrictions, dorm plans and health/consent waivers.
– Track and record data such as visitor numbers and survey results.
– Prepare items for visiting group departures including photographs of their visit, teacher evaluations and attendant forms and all documentation that needs to be returned to the school.
Host Visiting Groups
– Greet groups upon their arrival.
– Support group arrival and departure.
– Teacher and guest tours of the facility.
– Overnight on-site support.
– Responsible for the customer service of the visiting group.
Light Cleaning Duties
Light cleaning duties could include:
– Cleaning program materials.
– Cleaning tables, vacuuming, surface sanitizing.
– Cleaning up after illness or accident.
– Helping with building up-keep tasks including painting.
What will you need to succeed:
– Post-Secondary education in environmental studies or related field.
– First Aid and CPR Standard Certification, Clear VSS.
– 1-year teaching and or related experience.
– Strong Communication Skills.
– Excellent organization and computer skills.
What TRCA has to offer you:
As part of a progressive team you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact to preserving and protecting nature, while maintaining a balance between the natural environment and built environment. Working with experts within our field, you will join a team of colleagues that are committed to TRCA’s core values of integrity, collaboration, accountability, respect, and excellence (icare).
You will be part of a diverse and inclusive organization that:
– Makes a positive difference in the communities we serve.
– Fosters high performance and collaborative teams.
– Provides continuous learning and development opportunities.
– Provides unique TRCA Perks.
– Provides flexible work arrangements.
– Offers potential for career growth and advancement.
Employment Type: Full-Time Contract
Duration of Employment: 26
Hours of Work: 35hrs/week
Work Location: Claremont Nature Centre
Division: Education and Training
Business Unit: Education and Training
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting TRCA-057-22 prior to midnight on February 18, 2022.
All new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 as a precondition to being hired by TRCA. TRCA will comply with its obligations pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code and any other applicable legislation.
While the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised that successful incumbent(s) may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector screening and/or driver’s abstract check as a part of the final step in the hiring process.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA Policies, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the TRCA. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.
Personal information you provide through the TRCA recruitment, selection and onboarding process is collected under the authority of the Conservation Authorities Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.27. Collection of this personal information is necessary for the proper administration of this recruitment process for employment and volunteer positions with TRCA. Personal information is protected from disclosure pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Any questions regarding this collection activity should be directed to the Supervisor of Records, 101 Exchange Avenue, Vaughan, Ontario, L4K 5R6, (416) 661-6600 extension 5216.