Website Ducks Unlimited Canada
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC) is seeking one Field Technician to assist with the management of wetland habitats near Dawson Creek & Fort St. John, BC. This position will provide an excellent opportunity to learn about and work in the field of Conservation & Resource Management while developing useful skills applicable to these and other job fields. The successful candidate will conduct fieldwork at DUC Wetland Conservation Projects and be based on their own home in Fort St. John, BC.
All field equipment will be provided by DUC and the candidate will be trained to use all necessary equipment, as well as appropriate safety procedures for fieldwork. The candidate will also be trained in inspection and maintenance techniques and supervised both regionally & locally.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Vegetation and invasive plant management, via application of herbicide(s) and manual treatment/removal methods
- Inspection, operation & maintenance of water control infrastructure at DUC wetland projects, including removing beaver dams & other control obstructions, and adjusting control settings.
- Performing other maintenance activities at DUC wetland projects such as installing signs, repairing fences, gates, boardwalks and catwalks, etc.
- Trail maintenance at McQueen Slough for public wildlife viewing.
- Documenting results of inspections and maintenance activities via reports, photographs, and inspection entries.
- Completing Occupational Health & Safety inspections, forms, and reports as necessary.
- Interest in biology, ecology, environmental science or resource management, or agriculture preferred
- Experience and/or prior training in the safe operation of field equipment including 4WD pickup trucks, ATV/UTV’s, power tools (brush cutter, chain saw, etc.).
- Valid driver’s license (in good standing) and provide a current driver’s abstract
- Experience in carpentry or working in remote areas would be an asset.
- Possession of a valid First Aid or BC pesticide applicator’s certificate would be an asset.
- Ability to work away for days at a time in company-provided accommodation. Working longer days and weekends will be periodically required.
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age at start of employment.
- The successful candidate will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination
This is a field-based position involving physical work and outdoor work in all weather conditions.
Anticipated start date May 2, 2022; anticipated end date August 19, 2022
Pay: $22 per hour, 35-hour workweeks (plus 4% vacation pay)
Working for DUC is a career highlight for many staff. Let us know if making a difference is important to you.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your application through our online career center for confidential consideration.
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC) is the leader in wetland conservation. A registered charity, DUC partners with government, industry, non-profit organizations, landowners, and Indigenous Peoples to conserve wetlands that are critical to waterfowl, wildlife, and the environment.
While DUC would like to thank all applicants, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.