Website Ecology Action Centre
JOB POSTING: Membership Acquisition – Door to Door Canvassing Team EAC 22-02-10
(6 month contract)
The Ecology Action Centre is a dynamic and vibrant environmental charity based in Nova Scotia. This year the Ecology Action Centre is celebrating 50 years of taking action and leadership on critical issues from biodiversity protection to climate change to environmental justice that is grounded in community and act as strong watchdog for a just and sustainable society. We strive to promote a diverse and inclusive organizational culture that emphasizes strong values, collaboration, quality work, and real impact. Our Fundraising, Membership Acquisition Team will be travelling to different communities within Nova Scotia, going house to house inspiring people to become a monthly donor in order to grow our memberships. Through training, coaching and mentorship, they will gain valuable experience that will complement many career paths for example, communications, journalism, marketing, community outreach. Membership canvassing is an incredibly important role at the Ecology Action and complements our other fundraising initiatives such as, donor stewardship,
website donation, digital fundraising methods, email and online marketing, etc. As a successful member of this team, you are enthusiast and have strong communications skills that enable you to quickly build rapport with people and create genuine connections, grasping what’s important to potential donors in order to successfully communicate the benefit of monthly membership. You are interested in the charitable sector, learning about environmental conservation and climate change issues and want to work at a local organization, rooted in community, while educating and encouraging people to help build a healthier and more sustainable world.
We are looking to hire five (5) people to fill the Door-to-Door Canvassing positions with one (1) person holding additional responsibilities as Team Lead for the canvassers. This individual will be
expected to meet their own monthly donor acquisition weekly targets while training and motivating the other Membership Acquisition Officers on the team to do the same. They will share successes and challenges with the Community Giving Manager on a regular basis. As part of our Door-to-Door Canvassing Team your enthusiasm and strong communications skills enable you to quickly build rapport with people and create genuine connections, grasping what’s important to potential donors in order to successfully communicate the benefit of monthly membership. You have an interest in the charitable sector, learning about environmental conservation and climate change issues and want to
work at a local organization, rooted in community, while educating and encouraging people to help build a healthier and more sustainable world.
In addition to the above, as Team Lead you are energized when others achieve what they set out to accomplish and are eager to offer support, share knowledge and help motivate them. Your effective interpersonal communications skills, enthusiasm, experience and proven ability to meet individual goals, fundraising or sales quotas will contribute to building a Membership Acquisition Team who thrives.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES YOU WILL HOLD
• Going door to door, approaching people at home in order to educate and encourage them to become members
• Sign people up to become monthly donors and meet weekly targets
• Assist donors with sign-up process and input data via tablet as needed
• Engaging the general public in a respectable and professional manner while following EAC’s safety protocols including keep yourself, colleagues and donors safe during COVID
• Working collaboratively with the fundraising team, including attending team meetings
• Keep up to date on the Ecology Action Centre’s good work
• Attend events, such as third-party fundraising events, EAC holiday open house, community outreach events, etc.
• Supporting the overall work of the EAC
In addition to the above, the Team Lead will also be responsible for:
• Participate in the hiring process for new canvassers
• Provide training, on-going support and encouragement to ensure Membership Acquisition Officers meet weekly targets
• Meet individual new membership targets by canvassing door-to-door 50%-60% of the time
• Conduct weekly check-ins with team
• Contribute to building a strong, successful and effective Membership Acquisition Team through ongoing coaching and motivation
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
• A strong interest and passion for the health of our environment
• Exemplary communication skills and ability to relate to people face-to-face
• Ability to build rapport and resiliency to deal with rejection without becoming discouraged
• Positive attitude, professional, self-driven and a willingness to learn
• Being reliable and flexible to work evenings and some weekends
• Ability to travel extensively, work outdoors, walk and stand for long periods
• Background in sales and/or customer service with a proven track record of meeting individual gaols, fundraising or sales quotas
• Previous work experience as a canvasser and/or interest in developing a career in fundraising is beneficial
• Some education in communications, journalism, marketing is considered an asset
The Team Lead will also require:
• Experience coaching or providing team support
• A valid driver’s license
Start Dates: April 19, 2022 (temporary positions for 6 months)
Wage Ranges: $18.75 – $20.50 per hour based on position and relevant experience.
Schedule: Monday to Friday, 1 – 7 pm with some flexibility as required.
Door to Door Canvassers: 30 hours per week
Canvassing Team Lead: 35 hours per week
Note: We have COVID-19 protocols in place to keep both our canvassers and supporters healthy
TO APPLY please submit your cover letter and resume via Indeed Membership Acquisition,
Door to Door Canvasser APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 9, 2022
The Ecology Action Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applications
from individuals in traditionally marginalized groups such as, but not limited to: African Nova
Scotian and other racialized people, Indigenous people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and
queer people, and persons with disabilities. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their
cover letter or application if they are a member of a marginalized community.
We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only short-listed applicants