Website Government of Ontario
If you are looking for a unique opportunity to showcase your skills in surface water resource management, consider the valuable contribution you can make as an expert on surface water quality and/or quantity for the region.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role you will:
• provide expertise in surface water quality and/or quantity in support of regional water programs
• make recommendations to protect, conserve, and manage surface water resources
• act as a regional expert on compliance issues
• evaluate hydrological and ecological impacts of proposed and existing activities
• investigate and resolve surface water spills and assess contaminated site and landfill impacts
• develop and implement field investigations to support ministry water resource management programs and provide advice to clients
How do I qualify?
• You have a valid Ontario Class G driver’s licenses in order to carry out field studies.
• You have a degree with specialization in disciplines such as Biology, Hydrology, Chemistry or Water Resources.
Environmental and Technical Knowledge:
• You have experience applying the principles of surface water management, limnology and water quality assessment techniques and environmental management theories, principles, and practices
• You know how to conduct field investigations and operate surface water equipment
• You know hydrological, chemical, and/or biological methods and techniques with specialization in water resource management and ecology
• You have a demonstrated ability to understand and apply applicable policies, procedures and legislation related to environment protection (e.g. Environmental Protection Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, Environmental Bill of Rights)
Analytical and Problem Solving Skills:
• You have excellent research and investigative skills to collect data during field studies and determine compliance.
• You are highly analytical and have the ability to break down, assess, and interpret complex scientific data.
• You know how to identify and evaluate problems to develop effective solutions.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
• You can communicate technical information in a clear manner
• You know how to draft a variety of written materials such as scientific reports, briefing notes, correspondence, etc.
• You work well with others and are able to persuade and influence diverse interests
Project Management Skills:
• You have proven skills in project management.
• You can lead discussions involving conflicting approaches or opinions to develop consensus.
Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit theOPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
2 Temporary, duration up to 12 months, 119 King St W, Hamilton, West Region
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad – definitions
Lands and Resources
Monday, April 25, 2022
Less qualified applicants may be considered on an underfill basis.
The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
How to apply:
You must apply online.
Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Monday, May 9, 2022 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.