Website Government of Ontario
Do you enjoy the outdoors and have knowledge in natural resource management? Would providing people with a safe environment be of interest to you?
If so, consider this exciting opportunity to join the team at Algonquin Provincial Park
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• assist with enforcement and security
• perform resource management duties in the park
• carry out a variety of technical duties
• assist with customer service and providing information to park visitors
• provide leadership related to enforcement and visitor programs
How do I qualify?
• You must have a valid class ‘G’ driver’s licence or equivalent, as recognized by the Province of Ontario. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that s/he has a valid driver’s licence upon being hired.
• You have the ability to be designated as a Park Warden and meet ministry certification criteria and standards in the use of force.
• You have the ability to obtain the Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card.
• You have the ability to work shifts, weekends and statutory holidays as required.
• working knowledge of resource management principles and practices applicable to Parks
• knowledge of, and ability to identify invasive species and endangered species and knowledge of relevant best management practices.
• knowledge of GIS technology and ability to operate GIS systems
• ability to implement, contribute and monitor plans for resource management
• knowledgeable about law enforcement and possess the ability to interpret, apply and enforce relevant acts and regulations
• working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
• knowledge of parks programs, services and operating regulations
• ability to operate and maintain a variety of light powered equipment such as lawnmowers, chainsaws, boats and small hand tools
• knowledge about, and ability to perform, building and utility maintenance
Interpersonal and communication skills:
• interpersonal and communication skills to interact effectively and to provide park information to stakeholders
• written communication skills to produce reports and correspondence
• provide park information to stakeholders & visitors
• demonstrated leadership skills to work in a team and provide guidance to staff
• organizational skills and the ability to work independently and follow and carry out instructions
OPS Commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti- racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit theOPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
2 Temporary – Seasonal, duration up to 26 weeks, PO Box 219, ALGONGUIN PROVINCIAL PARK, Whitney, North Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Fingerprint Based)
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad – definitions
Tuesday, April 12, 2022
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Development Branch, Talent and Leadership Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Effective, January 1, 2022, the updated salary range for this position is $23.71 to $26.42 per hour in alignment with the recently ratified OPSEU Unified 2022-2024 collective agreement.
How to apply:
You must apply online.
Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.