Website Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority
Contract: April to October 2022
Hourly Rate: $18.38- $22.98
As part of the Authority’s Conservation Lands team, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting department staff with the delivery of forest management and afforestation activities on Conservation Authority lands, at Durham Regional Forest, and on private properties within the watershed. This position reports directly to the Forestry Program Coordinator.
What you offer
- Post-secondary education in Forestry, Forest or Natural Resources Management, or Forest Conservation studies with a minimum of two years related experience.
- Familiarity and understanding of best forest management practices, silvicultural guidelines for local forest types, tree planting, and the Managed Forest Tax Incentive Program.
- Strong tree and shrub identification skills; sound understanding of forest inventory and tree marking.
- Knowledge of local forest management challenges.
- Effective communication skills (verbal and written) and strong customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Self-motivated, with a positive attitude towards the responsibilities and duties of the position.
- Valid Emergency First Aid Certificate required.
- Valid Class G driver’s license required.
- Chainsaw operator certification is an asset.
- Experience with GIS (ArcView), MS Office Suite products including Access and PowerPoint would be an asset
- Experience in the removal of hazard trees would be an asset
What you will do
- Assisting Forestry staff with:
- Management activities in Durham Regional Forest including hazard tree removal, trail maintenance and development and other property maintenance activities.
- Collection of stand inventory information for management plan updates and the development of management prescriptions.
- Forest inventory and tree marking.
- Implementation of the Conservation Authority’s tree and shrub planting program.
Developing forest management plans on private properties to enable landowners to qualify for the Managed Forest Tax Incentive Program.
- Assisting Conservation Lands staff with the management and maintenance of Conservation Areas including hazard tree removal, trail maintenance and development and other property maintenance activities.
- Performing other related duties as assigned by the Forestry Program Coordinator.
Hours of work
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Possible weekend and evening work if required
Please forward a single pdf document that includes a résumé and covering letter to the Authority’s Human Resources, referencing Competition #04-2022, by 4:00 pm on March 18, 2022, to careers@LSRCA.on.ca.
The Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, the Authority will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you are contacted regarding this competition and you require disability related accommodations, please inform Human Resources.
In accordance with the Authority’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all new employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire, unless medically exempt or otherwise exempt under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Successful candidates will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to show proof prior to their employment start date. Acceptable proof includes a government-issued vaccine passport or certification.
In the event that a candidate is unable to be vaccinated as a result of a ground protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code, the candidate must submit a written explanation of the ground and any supporting documentation to determine if they are exempt from this requirement.
All personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants for their interest in the Authority; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.