Website Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks
Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks
Division: Ontario Parks, Land and Water Division
Job Term: 1 Temporary seasonal contract for up to 19 weeks per year, with possibility of extension (Apr-Sept)
Job Code: 18608 – Manual Worker
Salary: $20.82 – $22.46 Per Hour*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
Posting Status: Open
Job ID: 176358
Does your background include cleaning, maintenance, landscaping, operating and maintaining small powered equipment? Do you prefer to work outside, and have some autonomy in your daily routine? Do you possess a strong work ethic, the ability to manage multiple tasks and a commitment to teamwork? If so, this position with its variety of duties will interest you.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• be required to perform facility sanitation/cleaning on a regular basis under COVID directives.
• provide general groundskeeper and grounds maintenance services
• perform minor repair and maintenance to buildings/utilities
• provide garbage collection, general facility maintenance/sanitation
• operate and repair a variety of heavy and light powered equipment such as tractor with attachments, riding lawn mowers, chain saws and hand tools
• carry out facility inspection for security/damage
• promote compliance with park rules and regulations
• provide information and direction to staff and colleagues
• advise, report and record problems, violations and complaints
How do I qualify?
• Valid class “G” driver’s licence or equivalent, as recognized by the Province of Ontario. The offer of employment is conditional upon the successful candidate providing proof that s/he has a valid driver’s license upon being hired
• You have the ability to work shifts, weekends and statutory holidays as per schedule.
• You possess knowledge of operating standards for the maintenance and sanitation of general building facilities and utility maintenance.
• You are knowledgeable of the operation and maintenance of powered equipment such as lawnmowers, chainsaws and small hand tools.
• You have knowledge of and the ability to apply and interpret relevant regulations, acts, policies and procedures (i.e Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, Workplace Hazardous Material Information System, etc.).
• You possess demonstrated communication skills to provide information and direction to staff, colleagues and supervisors.
• You have interpersonal and customer service skills to deal respectfully with clients, staff and park visitors.
• You have organizational skills and proven ability to complete projects within acceptable timeframes and deal with competing demands.
• You demonstrate an ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
OPS Commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti- racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit theOPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
Address: 1 Temporary – Seasonal, duration up to 19 weeks, 148 Woodvale Rd, COUNTY RD 3 RR4, Lansdowne, East Region
Compensation Group: Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Posted on: Monday, February 14, 2022
Note: Effective October 1, 2021, the OPS COVID-19 Safe Workplace Directive requires all Ontario Public Service employees to provide proof they are fully vaccinated, meaning they are fully vaccinated as defined by the Ministry of Health (refer to:COVID-19 Fully Vaccinated Status in Ontario), including 14 calendar days have passed since receiving their final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Employees who do not provide proof of full vaccination will be deemed ‘not vaccinated’ under the Directive and will be required to attend a vaccine education program and undergo regular rapid antigen testing. Employees who are not vaccinated under the policy with a valid medical exemption will not be required to attend a vaccine education program but must undergo regular rapid antigen testing.
How to apply: You must apply online.
Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Tuesday, March 1, 2022 11:59 pm EST. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
Note: The only website where you can apply on-line for positions with the Ontario Public Service is http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca