Website Ocean Wise
Taking action for the ocean today, so we can all flourish.
Ocean Wise is the world-class ocean change-maker for concerned collaborators; big and small who want practical solutions with real impact so that they feel empowered and take action to protect oceans, humanity, and the world we live in.
Reporting to the Manager, Mobile Programs, the Education Generalist will have a rare and exciting opportunity to deliver climate change education programming across Western Canada over 14 weeks from May to August. As part of Ocean Wise’s Waves of Change program, the Education Generalist will be primarily responsible for program design, delivery, and assisting with logistics and administrative tasks as required. This role is a short-term contract, and we are looking to build a diverse and passionate team of educators to deliver this amazing program.
The Youth Initiative works closely with Ocean Wise’s conservation initiatives to translate our world-class conservation research, knowledge, and actions into exciting and engaging programs that empower a wide array of ocean ambassadors to make meaningful behavioral changes that positively impact our ocean.
Support of Mobile programs by:
- Working closely with the Manager and other Youth colleagues to design and deliver Youth programs to large and small groups, including online and in-person, in formal and informal settings.
- Traveling with the AquaVan as a member of a four-person program delivery team for up to four weeks at a time.
- Maintaining a good working knowledge of climate change, behavior change, marine animals, ecosystems, and conservation issues.
- Provides excellent customer service and support to all Youth program clients (principals, teachers, event organizers, participants).
- Tracks and maintains program feedback records, participant numbers etc.
Consciously desires to improve the organization and its processes by:
- Lead and aid in Emergency protocols.
- Maintain and improve organizational safety standards.
- Continually improve our impact on the environment and greening of operations.
- Actively demonstrate Ocean Wise’s values and expectations for conduct.
- Performs additional duties of a similar nature or level as required.
Education and Experience
- Working on or has completed a bachelor’s degree in Science, Education, Conservation, or equivalent experience.
- Valid BC driver’s license in good standing.
- Knowledge of marine and aquatic habitats, and conservation issues.
- Experience working with children in an interpretive setting.
- Experience giving live presentations both virtually and in person.
- Experience designing education, science, or other programs.
- Capable and comfortable driving fleet vehicles (minivan, pickup trucks).
- Experience implementing and evaluating innovative educational programs.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork and presentation skills – you need to love being around people, working with young people in Canada, and being on the road with a small team;
- Ability to work as a cooperative member of a dynamic team, as well as independently.
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills, must be creative, flexible, and enthusiastic with a positive attitude.
- Fluency in French with strong verbal and written French communication (preference for strong verbal skills) is an asset.
- Strong customer service skills and ability to interact with people of all ages.
- Actively demonstrates the organization’s goals, values, and mission.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of programs.
- Working knowledge of video conferencing platforms such as MS Teams and, Zoom.,
- Workdays could involve long hours and early mornings; flexible schedule (including weekends and holidays).
- Involve up to four weeks on the AquaVan Tour, away from the office (primarily in western Canada).
- The ability to safely operate Ocean Wise fleet vehicles, including towing a trailer (training provided).
- Lifting heavy objects daily – applicants must be able to lift and move 20 Kgs to chest level.
- Travelling is required; up to four weeks at a time away from home.
- Exposure to seasonal temperature fluctuations in outdoor working areas.
- Shared workspace in a team environment open-concept office environment.
Inclusion and Diversity:
Ocean Wise is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We are a company where diverse backgrounds, experiences, and viewpoints are valued. Ocean Wise does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, age, ethnic or national origin.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.