Website Outward Bound
Outward Bound Canada is committed to helping Canadian youth change the trajectory of their lives. With young people desiring to thrive in an unpredictable and changing world, OBC, a registered charity, offers social-emotional education through experiential adventures in the outdoors. Since 1969, OBC has inspired over 150,000 participants, with a particular emphasis on providing greater access to those facing socioeconomic barriers to discover their potential. These experiences develop resilience, social and emotional intelligence, and environmental leadership to contribute to a better, more compassionate, and resilient society. The impact of our work on young people in Canada is found in our recent case for support.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Outward Bound Canada’s Vancouver program is seeking instructors. OBC serves youth from diverse backgrounds and strives to reflect that diversity in our staff. To create the safest place possible for LGBTQ2S+ and BIPOC youth, we are looking for instructors who reflect these identities to run these courses. Programs range from single skill-building days to 21-day expeditions in disciplines such as sea kayaking, hiking, winter camping, and tandem canoeing (coastal and flatwater). We are looking for enthusiastic and hard-working individuals with relevant experience and certifications in these fields. There are upwards of 30 working days available between May and August.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the health and well-being of students while on the program.
- Development of program plans and curriculum for expeditions that are safe and effective
- Create a safe and supportive environment utilizing group and risk management skills, maturity, and role modeling.
- Facilitate positive peer interactions among students.
- Present clear and effective lessons to engage students in learning
- Provide direct customer care for participants and their families/teachers/agencies.
- Complete various program-related administrative documents and tasks
- Achieve the objectives of the Outward Bound Canada National Safety Policy.
- Complete risk management briefings and debriefings with the Program Manager and Course Director
- Facilitate all incident reporting processes.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- Minimum of 1 season of work experience in at least one of the following fields: Sea Kayaking, Hiking, Canoeing, or Winter travel/survival skills.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the life experiences and needs of underserved communities, including LGBTQ2S+, BIPOC, and at-risk youth.
- Experience in adventure and experiential educational module delivery.
- Skilled in behavior management, crisis intervention and problem-solving.
- Ability to develop and deliver creative cross-curricular programming
- Committed to pursuing the Outward Bound curriculum and supporting the growth and development of all participants.
- Well practiced in communicating effectively with a high level of professionalism.
- Ability to establish rapport with staff and students.
- Good problem solving and behavior management skills with experience in crisis intervention
- Wilderness First Responder -WFR min. 80hrs (required)
- Fully vaccinated against Covid-19 (required)
- Post-secondary education in one of the following fields: education, recreation, therapy, social work (asset).
- Bronze Cross / NLS (asset)
- SKGABC level II certification, Paddle Canada Coastal Canoeing or ACMG Hiking Guide certification (strong asset)
- Teaching certificate (asset)
- Position requires a police background check, including a Vulnerable Sector Check.
Seasonal Instructor, pay range: $160 to $260/day
To apply for this job please visit www.outwardbound.ca.