Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and a vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities we support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec has an opportunity for a Senior Wildlife Biologist to help lead our terrestrial wildlife programs. The position will be based in one of our British Columbia offices (Sidney, Burnaby, Terrace, Kelowna, Kamloops, or Prince George). The ideal candidate for this position is one that can lead the development and coordination of a variety of wildlife technical scopes. Working in a team environment, the successful candidate will be responsible for leading the wildlife component of projects, such as designing and leading wildlife field programs, preparing components of environmental assessments, writing wildlife management and monitoring plans, supporting caribou mitigation and offsetting plans, and supporting environmental permitting activities for a variety of projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Promote a strong health and safety culture and actively participate in Stantec’s Health, Safety, Security and Environment Program
- Lead assignments or projects related to terrestrial wildlife that requires critical thinking and mature technical knowledge
- Lead the development and implementation of assignments/projects, independently or as part of a team, that have a broad scope or are complex in nature
- Develop, manage, and implement terrestrial wildlife components of projects, such as biophysical inventories, environmental assessments, management and monitoring plans, and compliance reports
- Technical writing and report preparation
- Provide technical advice to clients relating to terrestrial wildlife on multidisciplinary projects
- Coordinate and track assignments, scopes, schedules, budgets, and deliverables and manage tasks according to approved scopes of work
- Communicate with clients and project management teams
- Assist with proposal writing and business development, including limited travel for project work and business development opportunities
- Provide technical direction and support to junior staff
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge of provincial and federal environmental legislation and regulations that relate to terrestrial wildlife
- Knowledge of and experience with caribou habitat restoration, mitigation, and offsetting is an asset
- An understanding of project development and management. Previous project management experience is an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience preparing and coordinating environmental assessments, impact statements, mitigation and management plans and other regulatory applications
- Ability to develop and manage field programs for terrestrial wildlife
- Strong interpersonal and social skills and ability to interact across a broad range of audiences/ technical backgrounds including internal and external clients, regulatory agencies, and Indigenous groups
- Experience supervising people and/or leading teams is an asset
Education and Experience
- Bachelor or graduate degree in biology, or a related discipline from a recognized university
- Registration with the British Columbia College of Applied Biology as a Registered Professional Biologist
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant consulting experience, including previous experience managing wildlife programs
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location: Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Other Locations: Canada-British Columbia-Kelowna, Canada-British Columbia-Sidney, Canada-British Columbia-Terrace, Canada-British Columbia-Kamloops, Canada-British Columbia-Prince George
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibits discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans
To apply for this job please visit stantec.jobs.