Skip to content

Protecting 30% of Canada by 2030: How can we make this happen? What does it really mean?

Protecting 30% of Canada by 2030: How can we make this happen? What does it really mean?

← All Topics

The above was presented at the February 22 – 25, 2022 Research eSummit.

Ce qui précède a été présenté au eSommet de Recherche du 22 au 25 février 2022.

(résumé et vidéo en français ci-dessous)

ABSTRACT

The world is facing both a global biodiversity and a climate change crisis. There is growing recognition that we need to act now to address these inter-related challenges. Agreement on this comes from science-driven institutions like the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, as well as from human rights organizations and business-orientated bodies like the World Economic Forum. As governments negotiate the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, there is strong and growing global support for effectively protecting and conserving at least 30% of the earth’s land, sea and freshwater ecosystems by 2030, as a key requirement for halting and beginning to reverse biodiversity loss, as well as contributing to addressing the climate crisis. Protecting and conserving at least 30% by 2030 must be addressed in the context of recognizing the rights of Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities, and combined with applying effective sustainability measures across the remaining 70% of the planet. This presentation would look at the evidence behind the at least 30% target the global guidance behind what should could toward that target.

ABSTRACT

Le monde est confronté à la fois à une crise mondiale de la biodiversité et à une crise du changement climatique. Il est de plus en plus reconnu que nous devons agir maintenant pour relever ces défis interdépendants. Ce constat est partagé par des institutions à vocation scientifique telles que la Plateforme intergouvernementale scientifique et politique pour la biodiversité et les services écosystémiques et le Groupe d’experts intergouvernemental sur l’évolution du climat, ainsi que par des organisations de défense des droits de l’homme et des organismes à vocation commerciale tels que le Forum économique mondial. À l’heure où les gouvernements négocient le cadre mondial pour la biodiversité de l’après-2020, il existe un soutien mondial fort et croissant en faveur de la protection et de la conservation effectives d’au moins 30 % des écosystèmes terrestres, marins et d’eau douce de la planète d’ici à 2030, condition essentielle pour enrayer et commencer à inverser la tendance à la perte de biodiversité, ainsi que pour contribuer à la résolution de la crise climatique. La protection et la conservation d’au moins 30% d’ici 2030 doivent être abordées dans le contexte de la reconnaissance des droits des peuples autochtones et des communautés locales, et combinées à l’application de mesures de durabilité efficaces sur les 70% restants de la planète. Cette présentation examinera les preuves à l’appui de l’objectif d’au moins 30 %, ainsi que les orientations mondiales sur ce qui devrait être fait pour atteindre cet objectif.

Was this article helpful?
How can we improve this article?
Please submit the reason for your vote so that we can improve the article.